- We can pull the plan-fact taking into account the cash flow and observe the dynamics of deviations in absolute and relative values - he continued, not paying attention to the tired looks of the audience.
Well - I think - a little more and will begin to tell something in the spirit of “37 ways to make insert into PostgreSQL database”.
- Only analytics works well where there are objectively formed data arrays. Let's conduct a session of technical analysis of the identified errors.
His ideas are sublimated from the substance of logic and experience, heavy and dense as mercury.
It is a pity that we will not receive the budget for next year.
But I could have said that he knows where the company lost a million last year and how to get it back. Simple and straightforward.
But he didn't.
A technical analysis session is much more important
At such moments, I understand the value of storytelling in analytics more and more. I would even say - I feel it. I let it through myself.
I make the decision that we all need to learn how to tell stories - boring graphics are of interest only to engineers, and then only to those who are “in the know”.
And then, when I see such a candidate in an interview - fascinated by details, with glowing eyes, who is interested in collecting this data automatically in real time, analyzing the length, depth and volume of a check, using algorithms and mathematics, and statistical deviation and normal distribution - I give him preference over those who speak beautifully.
What other stories are there? We must admit that he will not tell them. no matter how I motivate him... Here he does not have the goal of cleverly putting words into sentences.
- Everyone wants transparent logic, but no one wants to understand it. - he counters my attempts to bring innovation to business.
And in this place my teachers alternately appear in the imagination and look edifying:
“Remember that if he does not want or cannot do something, then you have to do it"
And a relief - I definitely don't have to do 37 insert options in PostgreSQL. And everything else is not rocket science, we can somehow master it.
And since I have undertaken this, then analytics should be beautiful and elegant in everything - in data, and in their implementation, and in visualization, and in insights. And, as strange as it may sound, depend on the position of the observer.
It turns out something like this:
- Natalya, what are you doing?
- I tell inspiring and intriguing stories where to find the million that was lost last year.